Friday, February 26, 2016

Malware vs Viruses

                                What's The Difference Between Malware and Viruses?

        Malware (malicious software), describes a type of coding designed to infiltrate your PC and make it do things that you do not wish, such as send mass emails, install programs, steal your information, etc. It comes in the form of a program, giving commands and spreading malicious code into your computer. The code that is spread is called a Virus, a piece of code that is capable of copying itself and typically has a detrimental effect, such as corrupting the system or destroying data. The most common of viruses today are designed to steal your information, banking, personal, social, etc.

                                                           How Do They Work?

       When malware is installed onto your computer, it acts as the boss, giving commands to his "workers" or viruses to spread and infect. One example of a common piece of malware is Search Protect by Conduit. This program is not originally designed to be malware, however, when the program is downloaded/installed, it carries infected software with it, indirectly infecting your computer.

                                                         How Can I Prevent It?

      The easiest way to protect yourself from such occurrences is to arm your computer with an antivirus. You don't need anything special, an internet security and basic virus protection is good enough to prevent 95% of these attacks. Unfortunately, the remaining 5% is almost impossible to stop as these include highly advanced viruses that even the best antiviruses will have trouble detecting, blocking, or even removing. These viruses are designed to evolve and learn from its experiences so as to become more and more lethal with each attack. The good news? You will most likely never encounter such a virus as these are usually reserved for high-end hacking with large amounts of money involved.

                                     How Do I know What Antivirus Is The Best For Me?

       Every month, sites such as PC MAG and PC Advisor, release diagnostic reports to let you know which antiviruses score the best in virus detection and removal. Also, you can check out my previous blog to find the best free antiviruses of 2016.


  1. Very interesting. I should really scan my hard-drive for viruses! Thanks.

  2. Working at staples I get this question a lot. This blog was great